REMEMBERANCE OF MOTHER PRESENT


"Only way I leave there is in a pine box."

My 94 year old mother.

On. 

Her condo.

To.

The medical team at the Geriatric Clinic at the Ottawa Hospital.

After.

Being diagnosed with mixed dementia. Alzheimer's and Vascular. And encouraged to move to an assisted living environment.

"I don't like people."

My mother.

On. 

People.

People. It turns out. Populate assisted living facilities.

"Only way I leave my condo is in a pine box."

**********************************
A week later. Phone rings. I answer.

"Hi, can I speak with Alan," the Woman says.

"Speaking."

"I'm from the Alzheimer's Society. I got your number from the Geriatric Clinic. Just want to know if there's anything we can help you with in dealing with your mother?"

"There is one thing. She lives in a condo. She says she'll only leave it in a pine box. But she needs to go food shopping and she enjoys pushing the shopping cart. Do you know where I can get a pine box with leg holes?  Hello? Hello?"

0 comments: