I JUST GHOSTED MYSELF AND I NEVER FELT BETTER

An uneasy new trend has infiltrated the business world from the dating world. I refer to the act of ghosting - cutting off communication with someone without letting them know. 

Just two weeks ago I was ghosted by a long-time client and, it left me more than a little confused.

What goes through the mind of a ghoster when they choose not to respond to, say, a follow up phone call, or email? It's a question anybody who has ever been ghosted wonders. It's a question I had to get to the bottom of.

And the only way I could do so would be to ghost myself.

I was taking a huge risk entering the mind of a ghoster. It might bring me to places I might not be able to come back from. But I had to do it. For the good of my sanity.

So, I call up myself and arrange for a lunch on the premise that I have a project I'd like to hire myself for. After a bit of back and forth we settle on a time and place.

The day arrives. Myself shows up, a whisk early. He's a real keener, I note. We discuss a project, possible deliverables, and timelines. I ask myself to send over writing samples. Then we go our separate ways, together.

The next day the samples arrive. I don't look at them because I'm busy on a Very Important Project, re-arranging my fridge magnets into the shape of a chest freezer.

I don't get to the samples until the following day. Meh. I'm not impressed. Myself isn't right for the project, I conclude. Now that's done I go back to work on another Very Important Project, cleaning out my veggie crisper using a pair of alligator forceps, a bottle of Nose Tork smelling salts and a book of Psalms.

The following day, while I’m in the middle of parking my hope on the road of despair, I receive a follow up email from myself politely asking if I'd had a chance to read over his samples. I ignore it. Why tell myself the bad news? Nobody wants to hear bad news, right? Right?!

A week later, I'm diligently at work on yet another Very Important Project, verifying the thread count of my pima cotton sheets, when I receive a second follow up email from myself. Hey, just wondering if you've had a chance to look over my samples. Well, myself, I have and I'm not impressed. I've already started the process of looking for another writer. I don't tell myself that. I just don't respond. Myself will get the message.

One week after that, I receive a third follow up from myself. It's cheerful and upbeat. Myself reiterates his qualifications and expresses how excited he is looking forward to working with me. The flattery is nice to hear. But there's no way I can respond. I've already moved on from myself. I'm looking forward. Making plans. Life is about the future! And I'm living it! 


And that's when it hit me. I was ghosting myself and, you know, I never felt better. 











0 comments: